National Board for ProfessionalTeaching Standards just released the scores for the 2010-2011 candidates! Candidates undergo a RIGOROUS one year assessment program. Candidates complete 4 portfolio entries and six prompts that assess content knowledge.
NBPTS Standards are based on the Five Core Propositions that form the foundation for what all accomplished teachers should know and be able to do and provide a reference that helps educators link teaching standards to teaching practice.
Five Core Propositions
- Teachers are committed to students and their learning.
- Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students.
- Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
- Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience.
- Teachers are members of learning communities.
I know first hand just how rigorous the program was because I became a National Board Certified teacher in Generalist/Middle Childhood in 2007..and passed on the first time! :)
My mom and I at my district's board meeting where they congratulated all NBCT's!
I spent one year of my life (I kid you not!) on this process. WHY on earth would anyone put themselves through this?? Because it really did CHANGE my thinking and CHANGE my teaching.
If you are looking for a challenge and have always been one of those teachers who like to "go above and beyond," this is for you!!!
Are there any NTCB's out there??? Newly certified, currently a candidate, currently a retake, take one candidates...We want to hear from you!!! Leave us a message!